Dr. Omar Awad’s Bio and Credentials
Omar Awad, M.D. is board certified by the American Board of Ophthalmology. Dr. Awad received his medical degree in ophthalmology from the University of Minnesota Medical School. He completed his internship at the Hennepin County Medical Center and his residency at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center Eye and Ear Institute. Dr. Awad joined LasikPlus in 2006 and in total he has performed over 56,000 laser vision corrections. His qualifications lead to his being named one of the Top Doctors in Ophthalmology by Minneapolis/St. Paul Magazine.
Dr. Awad has over 17 years of experience and 6,000 cataract and lens replacement procedures. As part of his extensive training, he has completed a fellowship in Cornea, Cataract, and Refractive Surgery at the world renown Johns Hopkins Wilmer Eye Institute in Baltimore, MD. Dr. Awad lectures internationally on cataract and lens implant surgery.
Dr. Awad is proud of his LasikPlus team and feels like they work in unison to provide the absolute highest quality of care with the best value to the patient, hands-down. He also ensures that his patients receive excellent care every step of the way, from phone calls to scheduling an appointment, examinations, testing, surgery, and follow-up care.
Dr. Awad has four daughters that keep him and his wife very busy with all of their activities. He’s a member of a Masters Swimming team this year and made a pact with two LasikPlus co-workers that they were going to compete in a triathlon this summer. He also enjoys golf, cycling, playing guitar, boating, and cooking whenever he gets “free” time!
“The ability to give the gift of clear vision in such a simple procedure, using customized technology, is thrilling.” – Omar Awad, M.D.
Dr. Awad’s Education
- University of Minnesota Medical School, M.D.
- Hennepin County Medical Center, Internship
- University of Pittsburgh Medical Center Eye and Ear Institute, Resident
- Carleton College, B.A.
Additional Certifications, Affiliations, & Memberships
- The Wilmer Eye Institute at Johns Hopkins Hospital, Johns Hopkins University
- American Board of Ophthalmology, Board Certified
- Cornea, Cataract, and Refractive Surgery Fellowship
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery
- International Society of Refractive Surgeons
- Philips Eye Institute, Attending Surgeon
- Designated by Trusted Lasik Surgeons as one of the Top Doctors in America as advertised in Minneapolis/St. Paul Magazine